BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 24, 2010

chicken noodle casserole



I really played with this recipe-just using the "outline" as my guide.I didn't have any broccoli rabe (or regular broccoli for that matter) so I used long,thin,green beans.I didn't have any onions on hand or any of the major spices so I just used salt/pepper--I really need to build my spice collection back up.Basicly,I boiled the noodles until they were about done and drained them.I mixed the beans in with the shredded rotisserie chicken (meat only).I layered the chicken mixture and the noodle mixture in a large casserole dish and ended up with noodles on top as the last layer. I made a roux using about 1/4 cup of olive oil and about the same amount of whole wheat flour. Once that was cooked,I added in about a whole can of condensed milk. The roux was still a little thick and gloopy so I ended up adding more water until it was "loose" enough but still thick enough for a sauce.I added in a little chicken gravy powder mix and a pinch of salt/pepper to the roux also. I poured this over the casserole making sure it was good and soaked. I mixed a few handfuls of panko breadcrumbs and mozzarella cheese and put that as the final layer of the casserole.I dotted on some butter to get the breadcrumbs nice and crunchy. I baked about 30+mins at 425*F. This turned out very good-even though it wasn't the original recipe--even the hubby said that was "GOOD" LOL.


original recipe here from Rachael Ray's Week in a day Chicken Divan Egg Noodle Casserole

0 comments: